Baking is my therapeutic answer to all boredom and anxiety related troubles. If this lockdown is making your kids restless, this is a great activity to get them involved in. This simple recipe requires only a few ingredients and is ready in under 30 mins.
These are made with oat flour and are gluten-free. Peanut butter is the only fat in this recipe and is easily replaceable with coconut or sunflower oil. These delicious muffins are great for breakfast or for an afternoon snack.
What you will need –
- Ripe bananas – 3 (or 4 if they’re small)
- Vegan egg (1 tbsp flaxseed powder mixed with 2.5 tbsp water)
- Coconut/brown sugar – 1/2 cup
- Peanut butter – 1/2 cup
- Plant milk (almond or oat) – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Oat flour – 1 3/4 cups
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- 1 cup dark/semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Make vegan egg by mixing ground flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, mash bananas in a large bowl.
- Add peanut butter, flax-egg, sugar, plant milk and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Sieve oat flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients a little at a time. Whisk till fully incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. (or try dried cranberries/raisins/fresh blueberries for a fun variation)
- Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, divide and add batter to each and bake at 180°C for 25 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
If you make this recipe, you know the drill: Let me know!
Take a picture and tag it #theslowkitchen on Instagram so I can see!